Saturday, May 2, 2009

Homemade Bread (and scones)

I LOVE this recipe! It's my mother in-laws bread recipe. I also use it when I make scones.

Bread
4 cups scalded milk (lukewarm)
3 Tablespoons dry yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water and 3 teaspoons sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
6 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup oil
12-15 cups bread flour
----------
Mix milk and yeast mixture. Add sugar, eggs, salt and half the flour until the batter is smooth. Add oil and rest of flour. Mix well until forms a smooth ball. Let rest in bowl for 1 hour or until doubles in size. Divide into 4 loaves and put into greased loaf pans. Let rise until double its size. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.

To make scones just divide out into little pieces and fry the scones. When I make scones I use the recipe for 2 loaves of bread and then the rest for scones. And actually, usually when I just make bread, I cut the recipe in half and just make two loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment