Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sweet & Sour Meatballs

This is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE meal of all. If I was told to choose my last meal before dying, this would be it.

Sweet & Sour Meatballs
2 lbs. hamburger
1 lb. sausage
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 eggs
1/2 canister bread crumbs
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. salt
1 can sweetened condensed milk
SAUCE:
4 cups chunked pineapple, drained and reserve the juice
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 cups browns sugar
1 cup reserved pineapple juice
4 Tbs. soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
----------
For the meatballs: mix ingredients. Form into meatballs. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes.
For the sauce: Combine all ingredients. Heat to a boil. Simmer. Thicken with cornstarch.
Serve meatballs over rice and cover with sauce.

Just a few random things about when I make this recipe.
*Last time we made them we put the peppers into the meatballs instead of the sauce, but next time we will put it back in the sauce.
*I also get lazy and don't measure the pineapple and juice. I just buy a large can and pour it in.
*I always double the meatballs and then freeze half of them for later.
*A few days later I make spaghetti with and either have the meatballs on the side, or chunk the meatballs up and mix them in the sauce.
*These are also great sliced up for sandwiches.

1 comment: