Monday, May 25, 2009

Calzone

Here's another family favorite!


Calzone
Bread Dough
Cheese
Pepperoni
Canadian Bacon
Sausage
Peppers
Mushrooms
Pineapple
Additional pizza toppings
----------
Make bread dough according to the recipe located HERE. When bread has risen to double it's size, punch down and split into balls about 2-3 inches in diameter and roll out into 8-inch rounds. Divide felling equally on dough rounds. Fold in half and pinch edges together. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes. Serve with marinara or pizza sauce.

When I make these I like to make a full patch of bread dough and split it in half. I make two loaves of bread and then use the remaining dough to make Calzones. It makes about a dozen. Go nuts with the toppings. I love to pile pineapple and peppers and cheese on mine.

My mom makes it a quicker way. She buys the Rhodes frozen bread loaves. Let them thaw and rise. Then you roll the dough out flat and build the calzone. Then on each side cut the edges in about an inch and do about an inch long in strips. Then you braid the edges together to wrap it all together. After it has cooked and cooled, just slice it into slices. It is definitely the quicker way, but I like to make the individual ones. I think they aren't quite as messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment