Thursday, November 28, 2013

Pie Crust

I did it. I finally made a successful pie crust. I tried once a few years ago and it failed miserably. I swore I would never make pie crust again. But I decided to try again. I even used the same recipe as before, since it is from a trusted coworker. I think the secret I learned it to chill the shortening and make sure the water is ICE cold. I also need to take my time, but don't over work the crust. I wrote down the instructions hastily, so I hope they make sense. I've also learned to roll my top crust so it is thicker before fluting the edges.

Pie Crust
2-1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup ice water
----------
Sift the dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening until incorporated using a pastry cutter. Add water and cut with pastry cutter just until it is all combined. Rolled out on a flour surface.

This recipe makes enough for a double crust pie or for 2 single crust pies.

For single crust pies, bake at 425° for 15 minutes.

For double crust pie, bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Tent crust as needed to prevent it from over browning.


No comments:

Post a Comment