Sunday, November 3, 2013

Chili Con Carne with Beans

We stumbled onto this chili recipe a few months ago. It is our all time favorite new recipe. We make it ALL.THE.TIME. The first time we made it, we did it all on the stove top. Then I wanted to take it to some potluck dinners, so I adapted it for the crock pot. Each time, the crockpot is literally scraped clean.

I think the ingredient that makes this so good is the Chorizo sausage link. Roosevelt has two grocery stores and sadly, my favorite doesn't carry it. They have it in ground sausage only, but the links are by far better. But we've been able to find it at the other store in town. You can also use beer in the recipe, but when I have made it to take to the potluck dinners, I did beef broth instead.


Chili Con Carne with Beans
1 pound hamburger
1 pound chorizo sausage links, cut up into slices
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 can light red kidney beans, drained
1 can (14.5 oz.) tomatoes, diced
1 can (14.5 oz.) tomato sauce
12 oz. beer or beef broth
2 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/4 cumin
1/4 basil
1/4 oregano
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
3 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
----------
Brown the hamburger and drain. Set aside. In the same pan, brown the sliced chorizo sausage links with the onion and bell pepper until the veggies are tender.

Return all the meat to the pan. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 45 minutes. Serve with cheese.

To make in the crockpot:
Brown meats as directed. But I don't add the bell pepper. I just add it to the crock pot with everything else. When the meat is cooked, mix everything together in the crockpot. I turn the crockpot onto high about 4 hours before I need the meal to be ready.

Recipe was adapted from Grilling.com

No comments:

Post a Comment