Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hot Chocolate Cookies

When I saw these cookies on Pinterest, I knew I had to try them. But I was afraid that once I made them, I would eat the entire batch. So I decided to wait until I had an excuse to make a dessert. At work, we are HUGE foodies. Any excuse is a good enough excuse to bring treats. Each employees work anniversary and birthday are listed on the monthly calendar. When everyone sees your name, they expect you to bring treats. I decided my birthday would be the perfect time to try out these cookies. I made them the night before and I was worried they wouldn't make it to work, they were so yummy! And since it was my birthday yesterday, anytime I went in the break room, I would grab another cookie. I haven't pigged out on cookies like that since starting my diet last March. But they were so worth it! My only complaint (and its MY fault for not fully reading the directions) is that the dough has to refrigerate for a little bit.


Hot Chocolate Cookies
1 stick butter, unsalted
12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
7.0 oz. Hersey's bar (broke into sections then cut in half, save any broken pieces and shavings)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups (packed) light brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
25-30 marshmallows
----------
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring frequently, over medium heat. Let cool for 15 minutes.


In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.

Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth, 2 minutes. Mix in the cooled chocolate mixture just until blended. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour. (If making the dough a day ahead, let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before shaping.)

Position a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 325°. Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange about 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening slightly. Bake until the tops of the cookies crack, about 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, snip marshmallows in half crosswise and stick 1 square of chocolate onto each of the cut sides.

Remove the cookie sheets from the oven; gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallows are just softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes; sprinkle the remaining chocolate over the hot cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks; let cool. Repeat the process with the remaining dough, marshmallows and chocolate. Bake each batch on a clean sheet of parchment.


Recipes says it makes 60 cookies but I only got 34. I used my medium sized Pampered Chef scoop, next time I'll use the smaller sized one to get more cookies.

Recipe taken from Forkful of Comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment