Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cranberry Cake

I love this cake! I recently talked about it on my other blog. Click here to see that story.
Cranberry Cake
3 Tbs. butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup milk
2 cups fresh cranberries
2 Tbs. grated orange or lemon peel
SAUCE:
1-1/3 cups sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup butter
----------
Cream butter & sugar. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg. Add to creamed mixture alternately w/ milk. Stir in cranberries and orange/lemon peel. Batter will be thick. Pour into a greased 11x7x2 pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. SAUCE: Combine ingredients. Cook & stir over medium heat until heated. Serve over individual servings of cake. Reheat sauce as needed.

My mother in-law cooks this in a square 9-inch pan, but I cook it in a regular pan so it will go further. I love the sauce. To get maximum coverage I usually cut my cake in half and layer the butter between the slices. The butter sauce will harden as it cools. I just refrigerate it and warm it for the leftovers. This cake is best when served warm. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Savannah~I know this post is old, but I had to let you know that I tried your cranberry cake! Three times! I absolutely love cranberries! I actually wasn't sure what to think of it the first time I made it. But I kept eating it. I made it the next week for my DUP (Daughters of the Utah Pioneers) meeting that was at my house. So good! Everyone loved it. Then, I had book club at my house and thought it might be easier to make cupcakes so I could serve it quicker. I just baked them 10 minutes less. They loved it, as well!

    So, I love the recipe! I think I have figured out what I wasn't too sure about it the first time I made it. I believe I used cloves instead of nutmeg! Haha! It was still good, but nutmeg is so much better!

    Thanks for the comments on our cats. They are crazy! But I love them. I told my husband that if he married me the cats would always be with us. :) He is still growing to like them.

    And I love your blog background!!

    ~Carlie

    ReplyDelete