Saturday, March 14, 2009

Banana Nut Bread

This was my first attempt at Banana Nut Bread and it was PERFECT! I got the recipe from a friend and it was so good that it will be the only one I will ever need to use.

Banana Nut Bread
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup mashed bananas (2 or 3 bananas)
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts
----------
Cream sugars & shortening. Add eggs, salt, vanilla and soda and mix well. Add bananas and buttermilk and mix well. Add flour, mixing well. Add nuts last. Grease and flour bread pans. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Makes 2 large loves.

Did you know you can make buttermilk by just adding vinegar to regular milk? Works like a charm. For every cup of milk add a tablespoon of vinegar. I had no idea! And it works well since our local store only carries a 1 quart size container of buttermilk and I only needed a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment